A beautiful pot deserves a perfect spot in your home, especially, when it is from the famous Satrangi designer, Fizza Ali, who happens to be my little sister :)
Designing "Truck Art" inspired pots its not exactly what Satrangi is famous for but Fizza can put chamak-patti on just about anything! Luckily, this time it was a set of pots for me. Dazzling vibrant tapes on coloured pots looked stunning and had to have a special purpose.
I had pots from Satrangi and super fast growing seeds from Muslim-Grower and a brilliant idea of growing Crops in Pots for EID. Here is a simple 3 steps to make your own Eid-able pots that you can proudly place on your dinning table on this Eid and inspire your guests.
DIY: Eid-able Pots
Things you will need:
- A decorative 3-5 inch container
- Fast growing herbs or lettuce vegetables such as mustard, cress, fenugreek , leaf lettuce etc.
- Soil and compost mix
- Some coconut husk
Simply, fill your pots with soil mix, scatter seeds on the surface, cover with coconut husk and water gently.
Since, I planted mine just a week before Eid, I used Mustard (3-4 days), Fenugreek can be harvested in about 1-2 weeks and Cress that can be picked as early as a week.
- You can also transplant your herbs into a beautiful container and place it nicely on your dinning table for special occasions. Of course, they can not live indoors so do bring them out in the sun after a day or two. Alternatively, place them near a sunny window indoors.
- Do keep a tray under your pots to avoid water leakage.
- Coconut husk is just to make it easy for the young plants to spring up. It also makes your pots looks neat and highlights the green foliage. You can use marble chips, gravel or beads once the seeds have sprouted and standing strong.
- Do visit Satrangi for their collection of truck art accessories. And Muslim Grower to meet and learn from vegetable growers from around the world.
Have a lovely Eid !